Friday, September 23, 2016

Running with a Toddler

Hi Everyone, 

So I just had a my second MOPS meeting and it went really well.  I planned already and packed so many snacks for James that I’m not sure if he could have eaten all them in those two hours but I was prepared.  We had an awesome set of speakers who started the brand Mama Said Tees.  It was amazing hearing their story about how they got started and how they are using their beliefs lead their life.  I felt very inspired when they were talking to be kind and to make sure I rise James to be a kind person.


Today I thought I would share my tips and tricks on running with a toddler.  James and I have been running at least twice if not three times a week for a couple of months now that I’m pretty sure that makes me an expert in this topic, just kidding.  If anyone can claim they are an expert in anything kid related is just lying.  

1. Time of day -  This is really important.  You have to find that time of day that works best for you and the baby.  I like to go running in the morning.  After breakfast we get dressed and head out the door.  This way I know that James isn’t going to get fussy because he’s tired or hungry.  


2. Snacks -  I’m sure every mom has come to realize that snacks are the best way to keep your kid content so you can do something you want to do either grocery shopping, attending church or sitting in the stroller for up to an hour. I’ve always found out that this snack he eats during the runs also fills up him a little bit so he can take an awesome late morning nap. I usually fill his little snack up with some graham crackers and some other little snack and give it to him half way through the run.  Timing is important.  The first half of the run he is entertained by what is going on but halfway through, it starts to get a little boring so cue the snacks.  If the snack cup isn’t a hit (we all know how picky toddlers can bit) I do keep some emergency snacks in the cupholders  near me.  These are just simple baby snack bars that are individual wrap and keep for a long time. Here are some of my favorites: Happy Tot Fiber and Protein Apple and Spinach Bar and Plum Organics mighty snack bars. 


3. Toys or entertainment - This one really depends on your child.  If you have a child that thinks it funny to drop things outside of the stroller as you run (I’m not gonna mention any names, James) you might be during a little more work then you intended on doing so toys might not be the best idea.  You just have to figure out what works best for you. With James it really all depends on what mood he is in for that day.  Sometimes I’ll grab the toy that he is currently obsessed with and that will work. Sometimes we just go toy less and it works out fine.  I do keep a couple toys in the bottom basket of the stroller for emergencies. 

4. The wheel lock -  Prior to running with James I had never used the wheel lock or really understood how it works but now I’m a pro. For those who don’t know, with a jogger stroller the big front wheel can either move in any direction or be locked into a straight position.  When you are just walking, having the wheel free to move isn’t a big deal but once you are running with it and you get a crack or bump and that front wheel starts to get all wiggly, you start to freak out again. When we are just walking for our warm up and cool down, I unlock it but when we run I have to have it locked. 

Try to hold the bar this way 

This handhold can make your hand/arm sore after awhile

5. Arm placement -  This seems like a weird tip but it really does make all the difference.  When you are running with a toddler or baby or child you are running with a lot of extra weight.  The stroller itself weight 30 lbs and James is about 25 lbs so thats an extra 50 lbs that I’m running with.  So to keep yourself from draining yourself, you have to be careful of your technique.  You want to keep your arms at the ‘L’ and switch off from one hand to another.  That way your wont kill your arm from just pushing with one side.  I also try to keep my hand straight and on the side of the stroller instead of turning my wrist and placing on my hand the cross bar.  

6. Don’t really push the stroller, use your momentum to push the stroller - I know I just said ‘from just pushing with one side’ but you dont’ really want to be activity pushing the stroller.  You want to use the momentum from your legs and the running to move the stroller. Just have it glide with you. 



7. Make the stroller work for you - James doesn’t like being fully strapped down to the stroller, he likes to look around.  Most running stroller don’t come with a bar in the front so if I didn’t strap him down, he would probably fall out.  So I did a little fiddling and made something that worked.  I took the bar from the attachment to connect the infant carseat to the stroller, flipped it around and now it works as the perfect crossbar. I do strap James around the waist so he isn’t completely free but giving him the ability to look around as really made keeping him in the stroller for so long process. 


8.  Not every time is going to be the best time -  The last very important tip is that you have to realize that just like not every run is going to be the best.  Your child is going to have off days too.  Some runs James will just sit there and be the best baby ever.  Other times he cries and stands up and throws things out of the stroller.  But you have to keep in mind that this is just one day and the next time will be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment