Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A simple rice and bean burrito recipe

Hi Everyone,

I hope you had a great weekend and Monday.  We ended up making a trip to Chrisman on Saturday and James and I had a lazy, sweatpants day on Sunday which was very much needed because we got home late on Saturday.  


I don't know if anyone else watches cooking shows but I enjoy watching The Chew.  I used to watch it a lot more when I was working but now I try to catch it when I can.  They always have good recipes and the food always seems so good.  The only thing that holds me up about cooking shows is that it seems like some of the recipes they make require either expensive food or stuff that I don't have but I have found a couple that I have now started to make on a regular stable and that would be Carla Hall's rice and bean burritos. It's a simple vegetarian recipes that makes a lot of food.  

The recipe does require a little prep but what I have found out that is that I can make the filling earlier in the day and then when it's time for dinner, warm it up a little bit on the stove then assemble the burritos. 

For this recipe you will need: 

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion (small diced)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 cup of corn (off the cob or frozen and thawed)
2 teaspoon cumin
1 pinch cayenne
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained, 15 ounces)
3 cups white rice (cooked)
1/4 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
1 lime (juiced)
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
4 large flour tortillas (10 inch burrito size) or any other size.
kosher salt and freshly ground black peppe
hot sauce
salsa
sour cream

Directions:


In a large pan, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.  Add in onion, garlic, corn, cumin and cayenne and cook until union is tender, about 5 minutes.  

Add black beans and rice and cool until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, season with kosher salt and black pepper and remove from heat. 

Preheat your griddle over medium-high heat


Divide the filling mixture between the tortillas.  Then top with Cheese.  You can also add other meat to the burritos if you want. 

 I've only added chicken but I'm sure steak would be super delicious too. Fold the bottom part of the tortilla over the filling and fold in the sides then flip it over to finish the fold and watch it up in a tight burrito.


Place the wrapped burrito on the griddle and to get it flat and even cooked. I place a plastic cutting board and a heavy bowl on top.  Leave it there for about 3 to 5 minutes then flip, reapply pressure for another 3 to 5 minutes. 

 Remove from griddle and enjoy.  I personally like mine with sour cream and taco sauce.  They are really good reheated too. 

Tips:  


1. I found this jar of minced garlic a few years ago and it is a life saver.  I don't use a lot of garlic in my meals so I end up wasting a lot of it and I can't never get the garlic chopped very small but using this jar fixes both of those problems.  It lasts forever in my fridge and it's already minced so I don't have to. 


2. My grocery store doesn't sell "small" red onions but I usually end up with a lot more onions then I need so I like to bag it up, freeze and use it next time.  It helps me cut down on my waste and the grocery bill.


3. For some reason I always make too much rice for this recipe.  I can't quite figure out how much rice I need to cook for 3 cups of cooked rice so I did a little research and read that you can very easily freeze rice.  So thats another thing I can do that will save me money and cut down on the prep time. 

Where do you get most of the recipes you use?
What do you do with leftover ingredients? 

Have a great day!
Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment