Friday, August 5, 2016

Taking a look inside my diaper bag

Hi Everyone,

Can you believe that it’s already Friday?  Or have you been counting down since Monday morning.  Today James and I are attending my first MOPS (moms of preschoolers) meetings.  Yes I know James isn’t in preschool yet but this group is for moms with kids from 0 -5. It’s held at my church and from everyone that I’ve connected with on the Facebook page seems really nice and helpful.  I think it will be a good thing.  The only thing I’m a little nervous about is that the meeting is from 9 - 11 which is James’ normal first nap time.  We did a test run at home on Wednesday by not putting him down for a normal morning nap and he seemed to do pretty well so I feel a lot better now going into today. 


I don’t know about you but I love seeing what other people pack in their diaper bags.  I always find them helpful for the item that I may have forgotten to pack or overlooked thinking I wouldn’t need it.  So I thought I would donate to the cause and let you have a peek inside my diaper bag.  


In full disclosure this is my third diaper bag - my first diaper bag was a backpack, an Eddie Bauer one.  Wes really pushed for that one and it was nice but I didn’t like how I had to dig way into it when I need to get something.  This diaper bag has actually become Wes’ everyday backpack.  He was going on a trip and he couldn’t find his backpack so he borrowed James and never gave it back.  I will save that it was nice to be able to just throw it over my shoulder and no have it slip down my arm. 


The second bag was a big diaper bag with a lot of storage and big openings.  This one was perfect for the prime months of 3 - 9.  When James still hadn't committed to a real schedule and I never know if I was gonna need something or not. But I got tired of how big the bag was and how heavy it got so I started to search for a new one.  



I decided to get a type of bag that I have always favored - a messenger bag from the SkipHop brand. And I’m so glad that I bought this bag, it holds just the right amount of things for me and has a ton of pockets. Even a shallow one for my keys that is on the outside of the main zipper compartment.  and I even use it when I don’t need to like I trip to the grocery store without James when before I would pull out my wallet and switch it over to a new purse. 

But back to the main topic of this blog, all the stuff that I put into my diaper bag for a 1 year old because what you need for a 1 year old is very different than 1 month old. 


I’m gonna try and name everything that I pulled out of my diaper bag last night. I didn’t go through the diaper bag beforehand so it was full of a bunch of random things. I tried to be good and write down everything but then I lost that piece of paper so I’m gonna try and name everything but I will probably forget something.



What I usually keep in there:
-Wallet
-toiletry bag
-a pair of socks (for gymboree)
-tissues
-boogie wipes
-paci wipes
-antibactierial wipes
-first aid kit
-snack bar (for me)
-burp cloth
-dirty diaper bags 
-snack cup (James)
-bucket hat (James)
-Sunglass (me)
-hand sanitizer
-food mat (for eating out)
-extra paci and paci strap 
-chap stick
-changing pad
-a wet bag with a extra diaper and wipes

Not pictured:
-sunglasses (James) I took them out for him to wear on a walk and haven’t put them back in yet
-sunscreen - we are down to our last tub and it is floating between the house and the bag



Extra stuff that was in there:
-receipts 
-school supply list (for my church backpack thing)
-old indians tickets
-extra toy and book
-almost gone snack bar for James
-extra paci
-James’ shoes 
-extra outfit for James
-left over snack bag


You might be interested on why I don’t carry an extra outfit  for James in my diaper bag.  I know he isn’t immune to accidents.  We actually had one at Ikea hence the change of clothes between the pictures.  But I usually keep extra diapers and an extra pair of clothes in my car. If we don’t take my car on a trip then I pack an extras with me.  But maybe I will do a post about the storage box in my trunk sometime. The reason why I had an extra pair is because I thought we were going to go to a water activity and I wanted to be prepared. 

Since Wes doesn’t take James too many places alone and doesn’t need my diaper bag I am able to refill as a I go through it.  I have been caught a couple of times down on the snack area but I am able to make do.  

I don’t really keep any toys in my diaper bag because James doesn’t seem to be to entertained by them so why carry them.  Thats also a big reason on why you need to make sure that your diaper bags works for you.  If you need to carry 4 diapers at all times, do that.  If toys will keep your kids from a melt down, go ahead with your bad self and pack toys.  No one is going to have the same diaper bag needs as you and your kids.  Do whatever works for you.


- Did you always carry the same diaper bag or did you go through a couple until you found one that works best for you? 
- What is/ was the one item in your diaper bag that you have to have with you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment