Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Nap time project - Envelope Pillow Case

Hello There,  Thanks for stopping by my little place in the web. I hope everyone is having a good day. 


After I got my couch from Ikea,  I noticed that something was missing to increase my comfort level. And we know that couches are all about comfort. I was missing extra pillows. The arms aren’t super high but you need a little support when you are laying down and relaxing.  So I did a little shopping and I couldn’t find some that was reasonable  and that I liked. So I decided to make my own. This project ended up being a really quick one, if you wash the fabric before hand it could totally be a nap time project. 

 When I was at Michael's I found some 20 x 20 pillow fillers, I wanted big pillows, and used a 50% and a 40% off coupon to bring the total for about $13 for both fillers.

Then James and I took a trip to Joann’s for some fabric.  I was really looking for some cute canvas fabric because I know thats is what a lot of the pillows are made out of and it’s a stiffer fabric and would load up well.  So sadly I couldn’t find any that I liked.  However, I did find some cute blue fabric.  



I found a pattern online and crunched some numbers to see how much I would need.  I get to the cutting table and realize that the fabric wasn’t a complete roll.  It looks like it had been returned or previously cut.  But with some help from the lady, we were able to figure out that I had enough fabric to make it work. I used a 50% off couple for the fabric.  So I think it was about $7 for the fabric. So this project clocked in just under $20 for both pillows.  Not to shabby. 

Step 1: Wash the fabric. This step is really important especially if you are planning on washing it if you get stains on it. Thats another thing thats nice about the envelope pillow case, you can remove it to either wash or just switch it out without having a tons of extra pillows laying around. 


Step 2: To make the pattern for the pillowcase : Take the length and width of the pillow and add two inches to it.  Cut it out.  To make the envelope part of the pillow case - measure out two other pieces of fabric the same width as the other but 5 inches shorter. I know this sounds super confusing.  It’s even more confusing when you are the fabric store with a baby who is upset that you stopped pushing the shopping cart.  


example:  For my 20 x 20 pillows.  I cut a piece of fabric that was 22 x 22 and two pieces of fabric that were 22 x 17.  

Step 3:  Lay the larger of the fabric pieces pattern side up then lay the two other pieces pattern side down on top of the larger piece. This allows you to line up the edges to make sure nothing is too off and would make the pillowcase lumpy.  Trim the edges if needed.  

Step 4: Taking the two smaller pieces measure up 1 inch on only one width of the fabric.  This is going to be your edge of your envelope.  All the other edges will be covered.  Fold the bottom of the fabric up to the inch line making an edge about 1/2 inch and iron and pin it. Sew along the hem.



Step 5:  After you finish sewing the seams, place the pieces back on top of the larger piece.  Line up the corners and pin the two pieces of fabric together.  You want to leave the middle flaps open.  Sew about 1/2 inch around the edges. 



Sidenote: Make sure you term your corners so they lay nice and flat and don't get bulky. 



Step 6: Flip the pillow case right side out and insert your pillow and your done.  




I can’t wait to do another pillow and maybe some more patterns to be able to mix it up a little bit. 

When you can’t find something at the store, do you find yourself making it or just going without it?

Do you like your couch to have a lot or little amount of pillows?

No comments:

Post a Comment