Thursday, July 21, 2016

Chocolate Chip Recipe #5

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are having a great week.  Here at the Henry household we are having a rough week.  James is sick - running nose mixed with a fever.  Not a good combo.  So I haven't been able to do a lot of things around the house but I am doing what I can. But on the bright side I am getting a lot of James cuddles this week. 



I made these cookies a couple weeks back and I wasn't mad that I got to offload them to some other people instead of eating them all.  This recipe called for melted butter,again, and sea salt.  Two ingredients that differ from the classic Tollhouse recipe.  I found this recipe through the blog The Baking Chocola Tess.


Ingredients 

14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt or sea salt
3 cups, any variation of chocolate chips or chucks.  I used half semi-sweet and half white chocolate

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350.  While the oven was preheating, I placed the butter in a little ceramic tray and let the butter melt.  Leave the butter in there for a just a couple of minutes until half melted. Take the butter out and let it cool.



2. Once the butter is cooled, add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy.


3. Add the vanilla and eggs, beating between each addition. 


4. Add the flour, baking soda and salt (don't use course sea salt.  I did and it really affected the taste of the cookies). Beat on a low speed until just combined.

5.  Add additional tablespoon of flour at a time until the dough forms a ball and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.



6.  Fold in chocolate chips until just mixed.


7. Use ice cream scoop (1/4 cup for large cookies or 1.5 for medium size) and drop the dough onto the baking sheets. Once again I made sure that I made them taller than they are wider.  You can add extra chips on top if you like. 



8.  I baked the cookies for about 10 - 12 minutes until they were golden brown.  Allowed them to cool on the sheets for a couple of minutes until removing them.



The cookie dough tasted really good but when I actually baked the cookies, there flavor was a little bland.  I think it was because I used the course sea salt.  Because when I did get a bite with the sea salt the flavor were great.  

Reviews
Taste - 4 -  Overall it was a decent cookie.  Like I just said with a sea salt bite, flavors were amazing, without a little bland.  
Appearance - 5 - They looked like really good cookies. I always love the look (and taste) mixing the semi-sweet and white chocolate chips.
Dunk ability - 5 -These cookies held up really well so dunking them was no problem at all.
Removability - 5- Again, parchment paper wins again. Maybe I'll start doing one tray with parchment and one without.
Affordability -  3-  I think this all depends on what you have at home. For the 3 cups of chocolate chips, you will have two buy two (12 oz) bags of chips so unless you have extra chips at home, it can add up quickly. Especially if you don't have sea salt at home.  These two extra ingredients can easily add $5 to your grocery bill. 

Overall it looks like a 4 is the average.  They were a decent cookies. 

Do you like to mix the chips when you bake?
What do you do when a recipe calls for an ingredient that you don't have? do you buy it or substitute? 

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment