Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Cookies Recipe #3

So I know this might be a little humorous coming after my last post but I tried out another cookie recipe and Guys, I think I may have found the one by Averiecooks.  But I'm gonna try to not get to obsessed and keep trying out different recipes but this one may be tough to beat.  



A couple years ago I was introduced to the vanilla pudding chocolate chip cookie.  I know it sounds strange but man does it make a huge difference in the cookie batter.  So I was looking for a new recipe to try and wanted to do a pudding one so I came across this recipe.  The ingredients are pretty much the same as a regular recipe with a little different amounts because the pudding mix does add a little extra sugar and flavor.  The biggest difference I noticed in this recipe was what you did with the batter.  I am no stranger to cooling the dough but rolling it into balls before cooling it was new. 



 I wasn't paying too much attention to the recipe and actually didn't do this step the first time.  Then I read it again, pulled the dough out, rolled those little balls and cooled them again.  And man I am glad I did.  Not only did these cookies come out tall but they were chewy and so delicious.  I actually made a batch for my parents when I went and visited them the following weekend. 

Another thing that I really like about this recipe and it isn't actually just this recipe but it's the idea in general, the idea to preroll and freeze the cookie dough and just pop them out whenever.  I know this isn't a new idea but I have been thinking about it lately.  I love a cookie recipe that makes a good amount of cookies.  I don't want to spend the time in the kitchen, mixing, measuring, baking and cleaning for only 12 cookies.  But also, with James getting bigger, I don't want to have 60 cookies laying around just daring us to eat them all.  So the idea of making a lot of cookies, rolling and freezing them, and having them on hand ready for a rainy afternoon cookie break sounds perfect to me.  

Besides the pudding mix, the other thing that I did different with this recipe is that I used real butter.  In the previous recipe I used cheap margarine.  This stuff doesn't even melt well in the microwave so I think was part of my downfall with the last recipe.

The Best Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies by Averie Cooks



3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened ( 1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
one 3.5 oz packet of instant vanilla pudding mix (not sugar-free and not cook & serve)
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, to taste
one 12 oz bag (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips.



Mix butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract together in a mixing bowl.  Add flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt.  After combined add in chocolate chips.  


Using a large scoop.  She recommends using a scoop about the size of 1/4 cup and she gets 14 cookies.  I wanted more cookies so I used a slightly smaller scoop and got 25 cookies.  Roll the dough balls until smooth and place into tray.  I used a small baking dish because I didn't have room for a cookie tray.  You cover with plastic wrap and cool for 2 at least two hours.  




Preheat oven to 350 and place on cookie tray.  I did line my tray with parchment paper (i'm learning) and baked them for 10 minutes.  This time will vary with your oven and cookie trays.  They are not all created equally. 


I like to pull the cookies out when the bottoms hold together and are slightly brown.  I let them cool on the tray for a little bit before placing them on the island to cool.  



I did place the unused cookie dough back into fridge to keep them cool until it was time to bake them.  

Sorry I don't have to many pictures of the final product, they didn't last too long.  They are great with a glass of milk.


Cookie Review:

Taste - 5, between the add vanilla from the pudding to the amount of chips in each cookie, the taste is amazing.
Appearance - 5, They brown up nicely on the bottom and top leading to a very nice appearance. 
Dunk-ability - 5, these cookies should come with a glass of milk.  They don't fall apart and stay together nicely
Removability - 5, no issues but I do think it's because of the parchment paper
Affordability - 5,  this recipe isn't anymore expensive than the toll house, you do need to buy a pudding mix but you do use less ingredients. 

Overall - it's a 5 star recipe. 

I hope you all give this recipe a try because it pretty awesome of a cookie recipe.  And I think it will be hard to beat but I am up for the challenge. 

Have you ever tried a new thing in a recipe and it completely opened your mind to something new or new to you?
Do you ever freeze the cookie dough or do you bake them all that one time?

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment