Monday, June 27, 2016

Cooke Recipe #4



My dad had one, actually two, requests for gifts for Father's Day, chocolate chip cookies and an apple pie.  Luckily for him, my sister Stephanie and I could easily make those gift possible.  So instead of making cookies with a recipe that I had tried before, I thought I would go with a new one and get another blog post out of it. 




 If you follow my Facebook you saw the picture of very large cookies that I posted a couple of weeks ago.  In for disclosure I didn't read through the whole recipe and did make the cookies a little too big but they turned out well anyway. 




I found this recipe from the blog 'The Girl Who Ate Everything' and from reading her post, she got it from Allrecipes.com.  The recipe was kind of similar to the basic chocolate chip recipe but I do remember it being a little sugar and sticky.  It included a little less flour, about the same total amount of sugar and only one whole egg and one egg yolk.  The interested thing about this recipe is that it calls for melted butter.  Normally recipes can't like you to use melted butter and that it leads to really flat cookies.  




After mixing all the ingredients together, you scoop half-cup dough and roll it into a ball.  (This is where I stopped reading the recipe and missed the part where you pull the dough apart into two balls leading to smaller cookies.)   



I thought this was just way too big for cookies so I got out my 1/3 scoop and used that.  The dough was too sticky for me so I couldn't roll it.  I let the dough rest a couple of minutes like the recipe said but maybe I should have let it rest longer but thats the thing about trying new recipes you never really know what you are looking for.  She does make note in her recipe to make sure that the dough ball is taller than wider.   I think that helps the cookies from getting super flat. 





I think I baked the cookies for about 12 minutes - again these turned out huge.  Like 6 per tray huge. 




Since these were for Father's Day I packed them up in a container that my mom had bought me filled with sugar cookies for James' Birthday Party.  I kept forgetting to bring it back to her and really there is no better way to return some tupperware than with tasty cookies inside. 


Here is the recipe:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Instructions
1. Preheat over to 325 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In a bowl cream together the melted butter and sugars until well blended.  Beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy.  Add the flour mixture until just blended and stir in chocolate chips.  If dough seams wet, let it cool for a couple of minutes.
4. Take 1/2 cup scoop, scoop out dough and roll into ball, twist and pull apart leaving the jagged edge up.  Make sure that the dough is taller than wider and bake until cookies are light golden brown on the edges and soft in the middle.  About 11 minutes.
5. Cool cookies on baking sheet for a little bit then remove. 




Cookie Review:
Taste: 5 -  These cookies were very tasted.  I did only have one and half because I did make them for my dad. 
Appearance: 4-  The cookies had two different looks and I think it had to do with how many chips that it had.  The ones that had a lot of chips didn't spread out as much so they looked better and fuller. The ones that didn't have as much chips, were a little flatter.
Dunk-ability: 5- If you broke the cookies in half or thirds I'm sure they would have held up for dunking.  
Removability:  5 - Because of the parchment paper they removed like a breeze. 
Affordability: 5 - These cookies wouldn't cost anymore than the normal recipe. 

So overall these cookies turned out pretty good, not exactly like the blog pictures but the taste is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment