Monday, May 16, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookie Search Take 1

In honor of National Chocolate Chip Day yesterday, I thought I would write about my first take in the search to find the perfect chocolate chip recipe. So my plan is to write about a different chocolate chip recipe every week or so.  So this challenge means a couple of different things 1) I will be eating a lot chocolate chip cookies in the near future 2) Wes, the other fireman and surround neighbors and relatives will be eating a lot of chocolate chip cookies and 3) I believe I will find the perfect cookie by the end of this challenge. 

Not my cookies but I will probably try this recipe out


I guess I should explain what I think the perfect chocolate chip cookie should be.  Not only does it have to taste good (duh) but I also like my cookies to have a little height (appearance), stay together with dunked into a glass of milk, and come off the paper sheet easily. So I will be judging this cookies on those 4 categories plus affordability.  I hate it when you try a new recipe and it has you buying tons of items that you will never use again.  

So the first recipe that I made for this challenge was the classic tollhouse recipe.  I found this recipe to the tee except for the amount of time in the oven, I didn’t want burnt cookies. 

I’m not gonna spend too much time going over this recipe or the making of the cookies because almost everyone has made this cookies.  Given that, your result may be different from mine so bear with me. 


all the ingredients laid out so pretty

The recipe called for:

2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12 oz pad.) Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

mixing it all together


I mixed the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.  Normally I just add them when it’s time to add the flour and just let the mixer do the work but this time I wanted to follow the directions exactly.  I let the butter soften to room temperature then I add the sugars.  I mixed until they were combined then add one egg at a time, then the vanilla extract. 

adding the chips

I accidentally got some vanilla on me and I smelled like vanilla for the rest of the day, it was really nice and relaxing. It makes me want to buy some vanilla shampoo and body wash and lotion. But back to baking, I added the flour mixture and the chocolate chips.  

flat but still delicious cookies

I scooped out 24 cookies. I normally use a small ice cream scoop but I must have scooped one too many cookies because the scoop broke and I haven’t gotten a new one yet.  I went old school and did the two spoon technique.  I baked these cookies for 8 minutes and left them on the pan for about 3 -4 minutes.  


hard to get off the pan and hard to clean up after. 


These cookies always seem to come out flat and the chocolate chips seem to be like little mountains in the cookies.  And they were a pain to get off the pan. 



I put the rest of the dough in the fridge for the second part of this Tollhouse experiment.  A lot of the recipes out there recommend you cooling the dough before cooking to reset the butter, especially if you can’t went for the butter to reach room temperature and you microwave it.  I meant to only have the dough in the fridge for a couple of hours but James was sick and required a lot of cuddling and attention. So the cookie making got put on the back burner until dinner when I was preheating the oven anyway.  

To be honest, I had higher hopes for this cooler dough but sadly it turned out exactly like the first go round. They turned out flat cookies with chip mountains. Maybe I need to get fresher baking soda.  Don’t get me wrong, the cookies tasted great and they were nice and soft on the inside but getting of the pan was terrible and you loose the bottom of the cookie when you have to scrap them off.  

So here are my reviews for the TollHouse Recipe

Room Temperature 

Taste - 5
Appearance - 1 
Dunk-ability - 2 (they stayed together but since the bottom were pretty much removed when removing of the pan, there wasn’t a lot to keep them together) 
Removability - 1 
Affordability - 5 

Cooled Dough

Taste - 5
Appearance - 1
Dunk-ability - 2 (same issues as above)
Removability - 1
Affordability - 5

I was hoping for a little different of a result between Room Temp and Cooled.  Maybe it’s my baking soda or something other technique that I’m not doing right.  But overall, I was a little disappointed by the TollHouse recipe but thats why I’m on this search. 


How do your cookies turn out?
What’s your go to chocolate chip cookie recipe?
How do you like your cookies?



No comments:

Post a Comment